Holy crap. This is Sweeney Todd meets The Yearling.
On Saturday, we wrote a lovely letter to one Mrs. Dorothy Richardson, the Ohio octogenarian who, upon seeing a fawn sitting rudely amongst her zinnias, grabbed a shovel and pounded its skull into mulch.
This prompted an unsolicited plethora of venison recipes from our demented readership. Appalled, we queried whether anyone had a recipe for Bambi Pie; and it was Psychocat to the rescue. Here's the recipe:
2 lb venison steak
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 lb button mushrooms, sliced
3 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 cup of red wine
¼ cup of bacon fat
¼ cup of flour
1 teaspoon of chili powder
½ teaspoon of ground mace
4 bay leaves
½ teaspoon celery seed
1 recipe of rich pastry crust (double crust)
1. Cut the venison into 1" cubes & roll them in lemon juice.
2. Mix flour & chili powder in a flat dish. Dredge the venison cubes in mixture.
3. Heat the bacon fat in large skillet & brown the meat. Sauté the onion and mushroom in another pan with a little butter at the same time, then add to venison, then add spices & red wine.
4. Cover with cold water and bring to boil. Lower heat & simmer for 1/2 hour.
5. Transfer meat to lined pie dish, cover with top pie crust and seal edges. Bake at 400 F oven for 20-25 minutes, or until crust is golden.
Serve with a nice red wine and a fresh green salad.
It sounds like such a delectable entree, that we decided to contact the author of Cooking for Assholes (one of our favorite blogs), and challenge him to whip up a lovely batch of Bambi pie. Not only did he take us up on this challenge, in a desperate attempt to align himself with COWA, he featured our email on C4A.
So now we dare you, dear readers. We call you out. Pop Bambi into a pie and serve him to your guests (with a lovely red wine and fresh green salad). Take a snapshot of it and send it to the Cooking Asshole. Beat that bipolar alcoholic chef at his own, sick game. Extra credit if you know of a recipe for rabbit pie, so we can serve up Thumper along side his orphan friend.
And Mrs. Richardson, if you're out there...um...waste not, want not.
Mrs. Richardson sez: "subscribe to this blog's feed or the fawn gets it."